Sunday, December 12, 2010

Houston's Birthday

After having sporadic contractions for most of the week (Monday through Thursday), I finally didn't go to work on Friday the 19th. I'd had quite a few contractions Thursday night, but as had been the pattern, they stopped and not a lot was going on during the day on Friday. Travis and I enjoyed the day together - we had lunch out, I got a pedicure, and we saw the new Harry Potter movie. Saturday contractions picked up in the afternoon. We started timing and seemed to be getting a pretty good pattern. We called Joy, our doula (professional labor coach), late Saturday evening. When she arrived, we worked through contractions for a while and then she suggested we try to get some sleep in between. I think I was able to sleep for about 2 hours, but then contractions were strong enough I was no longer able to sleep. Finally at about 3:00 am, I got sick to my stomach, and we thought it was probably time to start considering going to the hospital. We packed everything up, and got in the car. Contractions seemed to slow then. I was checked at the hospital and was only dilated to 1.5 and 90% effaced. How disappointing! Joy suggested we go back home and try to get some rest. It was a tough morning - I was sure I'd be further along than that. We got back home at about 6:00 am and crawled into bed. By this point contractions had pretty much stopped. I slept until about 1:30 pm, and looking back, I am so glad I was able to get this needed rest!

Sunday afternoon, as expected, contractions started up again. We spent the entire evening working through them. We had another good pattern, but it was similar to what we'd had the night before. Intensity did pick up though. I continued to be nauseous and sick though, so we were hoping it wasn't just dehydration that was causing the intensity to pick up. Travis called Joy but the full moon was at work - her client that was due a month later was in labor and Joy had been at the hospital with her since she'd left the hospital with us that morning. Travis and I continued to work through contractions together at home. I spent some time in our big bathtub (the first time I'd actually ever stepped foot in that bathtub!) and that helped me relax. Travis was a wonderful support and coached me through everything. I started telling him I thought it was probably time to go to the hospital, but we were both so nervous we'd have to go home again that we didn't want to go too early. We did a bit more timing of contractions and decided to have Joy's backup, Sankin, meet us at the hospital.

The ride to the hospital was much different this time. I was really having to concentrate and breath through each contraction. Travis said, "Now whatever number they tell us, I don't want you to be disappointed. He's going to come when he's damn good and ready!" I nodded to him.

When we arrived at the hospital a little after midnight, Sankin met us at the door and jumped right in helping me through the contractions even at the ER checkin desk. Checkin was much different this time too. The staff immediately jumped into place to get me into a room. When I was checked I was dilated to 8! We were so close to go time. Dr. Chut was called and arrived shortly after to check and say I was pretty much at 10 but the baby was turned a bit wrong (not quite sunny side up but something similar). Sankin helped me into some different positions so we could get him to turn. My water finally broke during one of the contractions and had a bit of maconium in it, so Sankin let me know that things with my birth preferences would change a bit. When the baby was born they'd have to suction him to be sure he didn't get the maconium in his lungs. But, he'd still be right in the room with us and they'd get him to me as soon as possible. Of course I said that was fine, I wanted him to be safe.

It was time to push and we got into a good position to help the baby continue to turn. Dr. Chut announced "he's turned"! I pushed for 25 minutes with Travis holding my hand the entire time and encouraging me every push. Sankin was a tremendous help too. At 1:55 am, less than 2 hours after we'd arrived, Houston Timothy took his first breath of air. Travis quickly cut the cord. I heard him cry almost immediately and said to Travis, "Go talk to him! He's crying!" I kept talking to him from across the room too. Houston was perfect and completely healthy. After a few short minutes he got to come lay on my chest and start his very first feeding. Wow...what a indescribable feeling. I knew him instantly, my baby, my son. And he knew Travis and me too...our blessed little family.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, such a sweet, "perfect" story! We are so happy he is here!

    ReplyDelete